Monday, May 29, 2006

"The tooth will set you free...

...but first, it will piss you off."

(What Gloria Steinem would've said if she had a teething baby.)



I was a bit premature yesterday in noting that the tooth on the right had come in. On closer examination, it has not. It is clearly visible through the gum but hasn't had the courage to show itself. Like a coward it continues to torment my poor baby from behind its gummy barricade and we can do little to defend ourselves.

She woke up flopping like a fish out of water at 1:19 AM and continued her semi-hysterical crying and babbling until 4:00 AM when I think she collapsed our of sheer exhaustion. I know I did. Yet at 7:00 o'clock she was wide awake and ready to start her day.

On the whole, we have had patches of good, but for the most part it has been a cranky and inconsolable day. Relief has only come in the form of cold teethers fresh from the refrigerator, Baby Orajel, damp washcloths to chew on and the pirate rubber duckie that Grandma brought over for her birthday (currently the preferred teether of choice).

As for me, I am fit for neither human companionship or consumption. I am hoping next weekend will be better, so we can venture out of our own private hell to join friends in offering sacrifices to the barbecue deities. There was also talk of alcohol and lemonade. I need some of that right about now.

Okay. Going to nap. I have no idea what I've just written, but off it goes anyway. Move along. Nothing to see here.

No comments: