From an article by Virginia Heffernan in the New York Times Magazine:
"Sunny days! The earliest episodes of “Sesame Street” are available on digital video! Break out some Keebler products, fire up the DVD player and prepare for the exquisite pleasure-pain of top-shelf nostalgia.
Just don’t bring the children. According to an earnest warning on Volumes 1 and 2, “Sesame Street: Old School” is adults-only: “These early ‘Sesame Street’ episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child.”..."
- Dingy brownstones
- Inner city slums
- Friendship and trust across gender and age lines
- Misanthropic characters (not just Oscar, but Bert as well)
- Pipe smoking (Cookie Monster parodying Alastair Cooke)
- Poor snack habits( Cookie Monster, of course)
- Invisible friends indicating possible paranoid schizophrenia
- Suspected whole milk
How on earth did we ever turn out to be okay?
Read the whole article here.