Wednesday, November 08, 2006

One Rule Broken (Kind Of)

Everyone has a Peanuts character they identify with. For me it was always Linus. From the time I was a little girl, Linus had my heart. He was smart. He was sensitive. He was good in a tight spot. He carried a security blanket. In short, he was my childhood ideal. As an adult, I can appreciate his wisdom and compassion in a way I was never able to as a child.

One of Linus' wisest sayings is from It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and is one that I have agreed with and followed most of my life:
"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

While I know there are a slough of post-election day bloggers waxing poetic, jubilant or irate, I will not be one of them. I was raised by my mother that voting was a private act and not something you discussed wantonly. I still feel that way and know that I am in the minority in this day of frank confessions and "too much information."

But I have to draw your attention to Jill over at Securely Fastened. Because if I were to ever write a political post, this is the post I wish I would've written.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'm totally a Marcy married to a Peppermint Patty.

Believe it or not I agree with you about politics. But once I thought up the whole "K-Fed, kick the bums out" concept I just couldn't help myself. Waaaay too much fun. We also have a political lawn sign this year, which breaks another of my firm rules about not wearing my politics on my sleeve.

Artemis Rich said...

"I'm totally a Marcy married to a Peppermint Patty."

That's just about the sweetest thing I've heard all day!